Thursday, January 28, 2010

VISA

I nearly melted my VISA yesterday. 

A trip to the dentist necessitated my taking the afternoon off work (and hauling out the VISA).  From there, I worked my "to do" list at home for a couple of hours (including an in memoriam donation - on my VISA), then decided I actually had the steam to head to our local mall...persuaded by the promise of January sales and the annual winter antique show in progress. 

I have been in need of a new ski jacket for a couple of years now.  I am rather fussy - it has to be completely right or I'd rather wear the tired, ratty one that I presently own.  I forced myself to try on various jackets for over an hour and finally found "the one".  Sadly, unlike the others, it was not on sale.  However, I will wear it for at least five to ten years and I love it, thus justifying the fact that it would pay for a family's groceries for a month.  Hello VISA... 

My next stop was to have been a celebratory free coffee, courtesy of my brand new Second Cup promotion card.  En route, as I passed display after diplay of antique furniture, figurines, maps, jewels, paintings and the like, I saw it:  a perfect little bronze borzoi, standing in its glass case, surrounded by an eclectic variety of treasures.  Given that I always search for sight hounds when this particular show is on, usually without success, my heart did a little flip.  "How much is the little wolfhound?", I  asked the proprietor.  He replied with a very healthy number for something no larger than the palm of a hand.  "I'll take it please.  It is truly beautiful and reminds me of my own dog at home."  He kindly decided that the price was "including tax" (most appreciated), and proceeded to wrap the little wolfhound in tissue for me.  Did I want a bag?, he wondered.  No thank you.  It would be just fine, tucked into my breast pocked, close to my heart.  Once again, my VISA worked its magic, and a little bronze dog which originated from an estate sale in Montreal was in my delighted care. 

The day was not yet over.  I am a very happily married woman - and most grateful for my lot in life.  Five years ago, my husband proposed to me.  It was high time for me to show him a token of my deep feelings and appreciation.  I made a dinner reservation, called him at work to let him know that he had plans for the evening, and spent two wonderful hours with him, over food and wine, warming in the glow of a relationship that has blessed us both.  Happily, I hauled out my VISA one last time, before we made our way home and wrapped up the day.

There is no way that I can indulge in that kind of spending on a regular basis.  I specualted that my horoscope might have told me that it was "a good day to spend money - especially on those things that bring health, happiness and joy".  Of course, I did not need a horoscope to tell me that.  It simply and truly was a perfect day to spend some money on my dental care, a memorial donation, a new coat, an object of particular beauty, and a perfect dinner out for two. 

Wondering if I should buy a lottery ticket next....

Wondering Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment