Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010.01.02

Nice number, huh? 

Our hot water heater has been broken since New Year's Eve.  We are expecting that it will be replaced tomorrow - Januray 3rd - three days later...  Thus it was that this afternoon, enjoying a very necessary bath at my childhood home, I had cause to reflect on today's date.  This little number pattern won't occur again until November 2nd, 2011.  I have passed my "number" gene on to some of my children.  They are torn between mocking my systemizing brain and the pure joy of resonating with any little numerical epiphanies I manage to have.  Life's little pleasures indeed!

Today is the day that our Christmas tree made its way to the curb, number one son headed back to university, our main floor got thoroughly cleaned - helped in part by my managing to spill a pot of coffee all over the kitchen floor (remembering that we have no hot water in our taps to assist with the big wipe up), and I watched "About a Boy" (Hugh Grant) with my husband.  We all felt a bit more awake than we did yesterday. 

January 1st is definitely not the best day to make plans or presume to be in peak performance mode.  However, January 2nd is different.  Christmas is packed away, the vacuum has done what it can, and the canines have decided that things are now back to "normal".  The fog of the new year's arrival is disappearing and 2010 is coming nicely into focus.  The new calendars are hung, the new work week is looming, holiday goodies are nearly all consumed, and resolutions are being pondered....

The past few days have been challenging without hot water, given that there are seven people at home, all wanting showers, clean clothes and washed dishes.  It was pointed out to me that at least it wasn't a problem with our furnace.  Too true!  Perspective in all things is worth its weight in gold.  Our furnace works, our toilets flush, our phones work, we have electricity and running water.  We've discovered that life goes on without hot water.  (Buddy, can you spare a shower?)

I am entering this new year with the steadfast confidence that all is well - even if it isn't.  For as we know, it is in dealing with the potholes that we become more agile.  I will take agile over fragile any day!

Wishing one and all a happy, healthy 2010!

Wondering Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment