Thursday, December 10, 2009

Winter whispers

I am a Sagittarian.  One of my official followers (and I love them both!) maintains that when the sun is transiting one's own astrological sign, that lucky twelfth of the population is "in the zone" - in every way!  Perhaps it is the power of suggestion, perhaps there is some truth to this belief.  Whatever... however... I do feel as if I am enjoying my annual "time in the sun" right now.

Tonight is a fine example.  I am at home (no demands on my evening time for a change other than being at home) with many of our children, my husband, and my dogs.  Our Christmas tree is up (with lights only), there's a fire in our fire place (fake fire logs are very convincing), there are great tunes flowing out of our CD player, my new "Hello" magazine arrived in today's mail, I have a big bowl of my favourite chips at my finger tips and a chilled glass of white wine to wash them down.  Outside, the wind is howling, our holiday lights are swinging precariously from our front yard tree, and the snow that came to visit yesterday is now frozen in patches all over our neighbourhood.  My hair is less than ideal, my waist is thickening, my complexion is raw and wind-burned, my hands are now chapped, and the braces on my lower teeth are as annoying as ever.  So what?  And that's the beauty of it all right now...I honestly mean those two words:  so what?!

Tonight, I could not be any happier.  These are the times we all aspire to:  warm hearts, full tummies, companions, laughter, music, comraderie, good cheer.  Holiday cards started?  No.  Christmas shopping done?  No.  Baking started?  Wrong girl!  Racing pulse, sleepless nights?  Nope.  All's truly well with my world.

Michael J. Fox is a "lucky man" and I am a lucky woman.  And why am I so lucky?  Simply because I know I am and I can honestly feel it.  Will I always feel this way?  No.  The beauty of this evening and this time in my life is that right now, life is good because I recognize it for what it is and I have the capacity at this time to savour it.  It won't last and that's okay.  The challenges that wait for me in the new year will allow me to enjoy the sweet times even more. 

So - cozy up, treat yourself kindly, and whisper some sweet nothings that only you can hear.  Join me in the zone and share my time in the sun.

Cheers!

Wondering Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment